Just read a great article at the Gospel Coalition’s website on pastoring a church that is not onboard with your vision at the outset. He gives 6 practical tips that shows tremendous balance and loving leadership.
1. Love them more than you hate where they are at.
2. Think like a missionary.
3. Small changes + time= progress.
4. Ground them in the bible.
5. Wait for a providential tipping point.
6. Make tough with a personal touch.
If you want to read more on how he expounds each tip, I highly recommend this article, entitled, Be Wise When You Revitalize by Mark Vroegop.